Mid America EDC Celebrates Independent Retailers Month
Monday, July 11, 2022
This July, we’re taking a look at the important role of independent retailers in economic development, and how we can support the retail stores in our communities and encourage people to shop local. Indie retailers create more sustainable towns, cities, and communities and are part of what makes a downtown thriving.
Our Annual Best Practices Conference is in Springfield, Ohio this July 13-15, and is a perfect opportunity to celebrate unique retail shopping experiences. Springfield is the Antique Capital of the Midwest and has incredible shopping, including:
- Heart of Ohio Antique Center - With 116,000 square feet and 650 dealers, there’s no end of treasures to find here! Springfield’s Heart of Ohio Antique Center is the country’s largest indoor antique mall.
- Firefly Boutique - This adorable shop has stylish women’s clothes, jewelry, handbags, and accessories, as well as home decor and gifts.
- Harding Pharmacy - Serving the community since 1950, they stock it all from first aid products to stamps, and even gifts, greeting cards, and national newspapers.
- Stride-Out Ranch N’ Rodeo Shop - You’ll find boots, hats, belts, wallets, and much more at this horseman’s supply and cowboy lifestyle store.
- The Peanut Shoppe - Operating since 1937, the shop is now owned by husband and wife Matt and Amy Luther, who continue the tradition of making fresh roasted peanuts, fine chocolates, and candies.
For even more shopping, visit Urbana (just ten minutes away) and enjoy its historic downtown and plentiful shopping. Highlights include antique and vintage shops, art galleries, local florists, gift shops, and the famous Carmazzi's Candy & General Store, which has been in operation since 1893!
It’s not too late to join us for this year’s Best Practices Conference: “Vibrancy Matters!”Click here for the schedule of events. This year’s theme is “Vibrancy Matters!” and the conference will focus on why this is so important for communities of all sizes, and on how Springfield is leveraging its assets to create vibrancy and long-term economic growth. Join us to network with your Midwest colleagues and economic development stakeholders, learn best practices from industry professionals and experts, attend educational sessions and unique tours, and much more. You’ll also have the opportunity to experience first-hand the growth and innovation that Springfield has to offer!
Online registration is now closed, but you can still register on-site. On-site registration opens at 8 a.m. on Wednesday, July 13, in the Ballroom Foyer, 1st Floor of the Courtyard Springfield Downtown. To save time on site, please print and fill out the onsite registration form ahead of time and bring it with you.